Sleigh Ride Date Squares with NUTELLA® hazelnut spread
Meet the perfect holiday date square.
These Sleigh Ride Date Squares have you covered. They’re satisfying and always know how to please. Use one of the NUTELLA ® holiday stencils to add a little joy to each square.
- For the filling:
- 1½ cups pitted dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- For the crumbs:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray an 8” square glass or metal baking pan with oil and line with overhanging parchment.
- In a small saucepan, combine dates and water over low heat, and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and mixture has thickened. Set aside while you make the crumbs.
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar and butter together. Add the oats, flour, spices, baking soda and salt, and stir to combine; the mixture should form a coarse rubble.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Spread the date mixture smoothly over the crumbs. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over date layer and press to cover.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven until top is golden, about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Cut into 16 squares. Serve with NUTELLA® hazelnut spread using the NUTELLA® Stencil or NUTELLA® Multi-Tool of your choice, or any holiday stencil/ tool you have on hand. Enjoy with a glass of milk and side of fruit.
You may also like these recipes