Mexican Conchas with NUTELLA® hazelnut spread
A festive morning.
This Mexican sweet bread has a delicious crunchy topping that resembles a seashell. It’s delicious on its own, and it’s even more delicious with NUTELLA® hazelnut spread!
- 3 tsp dry active yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, butter, salt, eggs and yolk and 2 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a large greased bowl, then turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: beat sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Stir in flour until mixture is the consistency of thick paste.
- Divide into 12 pieces. Pat each piece into a circle. Brush each bun with the egg wash and place 1 circle of topping dough on each ball of dough, shaping it down over the ball.
- Make 5 or 6 cuts across the topping, using a table knife, to form a shell pattern. Cover and let rise until double, about 55 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown around the edge.
- Let cool fully, slice in half and spread with NUTELLA® hazelnut spread. Serve with a glass of milk and a side of fruit.
You may also like these recipes